This creamed spinach mac and cheese is a cheesy mac, dreamy and cheese with a lot of fresh-baby-spinach! Super soothing and so delicious.
An entire huge bunch of fresh spinach. Baked in the loveliest mac and cheese pot that you will see. It is everything you need and more, and it’s filled with veggies. There’s not any getting around this one.
The crunchy topping is my favourite part. I love to utilize those crispy-onions. However, you might also use breadcrumbs, cracker crumbs, much pretzel crumbs.
Creamed Spinach Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb short cut pasta cooked according to package directions
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 12 oz fresh baby spinach
- 6 oz white cheddar freshly grated
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tbsp flour
- ½ cup crispy onions or breadcrumbs for topping
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 12 oz fontina cheese freshly grated
- 2 oz parmesan cheese freshly grated
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat a large oven-safe pot over medium-low-heat and add the butter. Stir in the garlic and onion with a pinch of pepper and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, till the onions have softened.
- At this moment, you could even cook the pasta from a different pot. It is possible to cook it before too and just be certain that you give it a quick spritz of olive oil so that it will not stick together.
- Toss all of the grated cheese together. Stir the flour to the onions to make a roux. Cook for a few minutes, till it becomes golden in colour and begins to smell-nutty. Gradually stream in the milk while stirring continuously. The mixture will start to come together and thicken. Stir in the nutmeg.
- Add the spinach, it’ll appear overwhelming at first, but it is going to quickly cook ! Stir until it cooks down and softens.
- When the spinach cooks down, stir in almost all the cheese (reserve a little for topping) along with the pasta. Toss it together over and over till it’s combined.
- Top with the remaining grated-cheese. Top with crispy onions. Bake for 35-30 minutes, till golden and bubbly. Enjoy!
Please, if you like this Creamed Spinach Mac and Cheese recipe, don’t forget to give the STAR RATE (★★★★★) or comment below. Thanks. You can see the full recipe here howsweeteats.